NZKI five Star Sea Kayak Scope
NZKI 5 Star is the highest award in the NZKI system. It enables the holder to assess all levels of the award scheme.
5 Star Profile
A NZKI 5 Star paddler will be able to:
- Demonstrate competency in assessing paddle strokes and rescues on intermediate water conditions;
- Plan and prepare an assessment of a NZKI 2 or 4 Star Instructor;
- Role model accepted environmental practices and
- Role model best kayaking skills.
A NZKI 5 Star kayaker will be able to assess all levels with on the Canoe & Kayak NZKI award scheme.
To be assessed for the NZKI 5 Star award the participant must:
- No less than 5 years of current logged experience as a senior kayak instructor;
- Hold a NZKI 4 Star kayak award or equivalent;
- Hold a current outdoor 1st Aid Certificate;
- Hold a VHF Radio Operators Certificate and
- Have completed the skills active assessor training and be qualified as an assessor for the NZ Certificate in Outdoor Leadership Kayaking and Sea Kayaking..
To maintain a NZKI 5 Star qualification the holder must:
- 1 day of professional development annually;
- Maintain the Skills Active Assessor qualification;
- Completed 20 days of new logged kayak trips annually and
- Undertake a peer review session every 2 years.